To promote and support research and educational endeavors at the Miami VA Healthcare System and Orlando VA Medical Center via cooperative arrangements with non-VA sources of funding for the purpose of enhancing quality of healthcare delivery to veterans, their families and the public in general.
To become a leader in non-profit foundations devoted to innovative research and improved health outcomes for veterans and the general public.
- The continuous support of important research topics that facilitate VA research, education, and the enhancement of quality patient care.
- Enhancing the acquisition of new knowledge and development of new techniques and products leading to improvements in prevention, diagnosis, and management of disease and disability.
- Providing a stimulating intellectual environment favoring the recruitment, retention, and continuing professional growth of its staff.
- Contributing to the development of a nucleus of clinician-investigators who are capable of conducting meaningful and productive biomedical research.
- Enhancing educational programs that support the furthering of knowledge and understanding of medical science for our veteran population as well as the general public.
- To identify and facilitate cooperative arrangements between VA clinician-investigators and non-VA sources of funding to sustain Foundation goals.
- To administer and manage private and public non-VA grants (extramural funds) for research and education.
- To provide additional resources for use by clinician-investigators to fulfill Foundation goals.
- To assist in the operation and maintenance of common resource research facilities.
Monies spent in focus areas may take the form of purchases of common use equipment, hiring of temporary research assistants, assistance with conference travel expenses, and publication costs for research reports. The Foundation may also sponsors visiting lecturers and scientific colloquia of broad and specialized interests. It may provide start-up or supplemental funds for investigators to discover or verify knowledge relating to the etiology, diagnosis, treatment, or control of diseases of special concern.
- Basic Science
- Cardiology & Cardiovascular Disorders
- Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Health & Home Services
- Hematology & Oncology
- Infectious Diseases & Immunology
- Nephrology & Hypertension
- Neurology & Neurobiology
- Neurosurgery & Spinal Cord Injuries
- Pulmonary & Respiratory Diseases
- Psychiatry & Mental Health
- Rehabilitation & Rehabilitative Medicine
- Surgery & Anesthesia